Saturday, March 21, 2009

Why should I worry?

It’s appropriate that the first response to my uplifting music request on FB is the same guy who recommended Tucker Max “I hope they serve beer in hell.”

My response: It is easier not to worry when your parents are prominent officials in government. I say that with no disdain. My friend has never tried to play off his parents’ credentials. It’s a simple fact that more doors will be opened for you if you have the right name. It’s also easier to take risks if you know that you will never, never be homeless. Now having said all that, the guy did work doing outbound sales while living with me... and followed the next summer as a college graduate working at Adventureland... That takes a level of guts that I don’t have.

2 comments:

  1. This is not one of my favorite Billy Joel songs. I can think of probably 20 I like better off the top of my head. This one isn't bad, but it was clearly written specifically for the movie "Oliver and Company". Which happens to be one of my daughter's favorite movies right now!

    It would be very nice to not have to worry in this economy - I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely not one of the best Billy Joel songs, but Oliver and Company was bank and thus by association, this song.

    Oh, and Steve, you forgot the half a summer I spent donating plasma so I could stay in Cedar Rapids long enough to be a Salad Bar Attendant at Ruby Tuesday's. In applications to Law Firms I write "Prep Cook."

    ReplyDelete