Sunday, March 28, 2010

Meat consumption

(This graph comes via the USDA and a post on Andrew Sullivan's blog.)

When I see a historical graph I try to come with a narrative to explain it. This graph on meat consumption baffles me. Take a look. See anything peculiar?

Beef was on a meteoric rise from the 50's to the mid 70's. Given the extra income during that period and the growth of places like McDonalds that makes sense. But was there a big drop followed by a gradual drop so that now people are eating 20 pounds less of beef per year?

The gain in chicken makes sense: Fast food places have slowly increased their offerings with chicken. Ditto for the gain in turkey as it is increasingly seen as the healthy meat.

And I'm surprised that pork consumption has remained relatively constant. As beef and chicken became cheaper I would have expected pork to lose ground.

But the beef graph absolutely has no explanation to me. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Mad cow disease? Bad rep for red meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...
    Beef is expensive and it is of poor quality.

    $7.00 per pound for a porterhouse steak that is less than the size of my 8 year old daughters hand is Bullshit. Add to that it isn't marbled, and it is 1/2 inch thick?

    When I moved out on my own, ground beef 90% lean was .75 per pound. Now you are lucky if you find it in a wal-mart tube for less than $2.50 for 80%!

    Beef isn't gas ya'll, we can do without.

    ReplyDelete