Monday, March 29, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Here's the dilemma: In early February I found cheap $200 tickets to Nepal for spring break... last Wednesday there was a campus-wide announcement that we are to hold office hours during spring break.

Three-fourths of my department had previously made travel plans as I had. None are changing their plans. For me, there's safety in numbers. For Ann it is not as clear; many have actually canceled their flights.

Tonight we are deciding: Go to Nepal and risk a very slight chance of retribution OR stay here and do a couple of days snorkeling in Fujairah and see Wynton Marsalis next week. (I'm not a great fan of jazz, but seeing one of the best in the world in person is appealing. Then again, Federer was a huge disappointment.)

I'm tilted towards the latter but for bad reasons: I have work I need to get done so spending a day or two on that would be good plus I always get anxious before traveling. Before the first Nepal trip or Ukraine I would have canceled without being upset. Yet I'm very, very happy I did both trips. On this trip we were planning to go to a resort town we missed last time. A close friend of Ann's was there last week and spent three days white-water rafting and the rest of the time lounging around the lake... and staying at a hotel for $15/night, including breakfast. Remember: Nepal is one of the cheapest vacations on the planet.

If we cancel $160 goes towards a voucher for a future flight. I am completely torn and I cannot be objective. So with the facts as unbiasedly presented as I can, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I'd stay at home, work, snorkel, and go shop at the global village. Bank those brownie points for later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go. Hold online office hours. Show them how technologically savvy you are!

    ReplyDelete