Sunday, March 7, 2010

BlackBoard

Tomorrow will be a first for me: I'm giving a test 100% electronically. Students will all bring their laptops. At 8AM I'll give them a password to open the test. There are 25 questions that each student will get randomly one at a time. The answers have also been jumbled. Once they've answered a question they cannot go back to change it.

(All of this is way too strict for me. I'd like to them to go back and re-read questions but if I allow it students will jump around to find the same question as the person sitting next to them. All who use this system told me, "Make it a random 0ne-question-at-a-time and don't let them go back.")

I can stand at the back of the classroom and see if anyone is using notes on their computer or copying and pasting the questions to e-mail to another class.

In theory it will be great... but I've heard enough horror stories that I haven't tried this until now. The benefits for me are huge: No grading. Done automatically and the student knows his/her score before s/he walks out of the classroom. It's even automatically entered into the gradebook. After all are done I can see a breakdown question by question. I will know which questions everyone got right and which ones were missed the most.

Wish me luck. I'm an old dog and this is a new trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment