Sunday, October 11, 2009

Please let me pay my electric bill

For reasons I cannot understand - literally cannot understand because it has only been explained in Arabic - I cannot get my electric/water account switched from my old apartment to my new apartment. I've lived in the new apartment for almost six months. I finally figured out my meter number so I took it to the station and the clerk pulled up my account.

"That's 7600 dirhams," she said, making me choke. That's slightly over $2000. I think, "Well, I did teach summer school and I do like it cooler in my place than most people do... but $2000!?!"

The woman asked if I wanted it on my credit card. I replied "Yeah, I certainly don't have that much money on me. But would you please check again? That amount seems very high." She confirmed that the total bill for the apartment complex was 7600 Dh. Oh, I'm just here to pay for apartment 23.

"That," she said, "is 105 Dh."

"Are you sure it is not higher?" I asked. She checked yet again and said, "105." While $2000 was too high, $30 is way too low.

I spent two hours trying to get the account for my apartment in my name. This is at least the fourth trip. I swear a business offering "Rent an Emirati" would make millions here. I'd happily hire an Emirati to represent me to get this cleared up.

No comments:

Post a Comment