Saturday, October 3, 2009

Travel the world - cheap

Since I was wearing a t-shirt with "Cedar Rapids, Iowa" in large print this woman asked, "Are you really from Cedar Rapids? I'm from Lincoln, Nebraska."

She retired 18 months ago and outside of a few weeks back in the US she's been traveling ever since. She'd covered all of South America and Europe and was looking to wind her way down through Africa. She was grateful to be able to talk to someone in English. (I would go crazy in Ukraine if I tried to travel by myself.)

It's amazing that she has been successful in finding $5/night hostels and traveling on the not so nice trains that cost less than $10 per trip. I wish I'd have taken down her e-mail address. She's got a story to tell.

1 comment:

  1. What a woman! Kind of like the fresh out of high school/college kid back-packing Europe, but with money and a little more wisdom! I would hope to be brave enough to do this one day!

    ReplyDelete