Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thanksgiving at home?

I have a dilemma and I hope writing about it will help me decide what to do. I have off from Thanksgiving until December 5. I have to decide what to do for those ten days.

Option #1 - Come home
Pro's
  • Get to spend Thanksgiving at home
  • Spending time with family, friends and dog
  • Being able to bring back 30 pounds of Dad's popcorn
  • Being able to stand in line at 4AM the day after Thanksgiving for items I don't really need
Con's
  • It's a long, expensive ($1200) trip for ten days back home
  • It's hard not to spend a lot of money while I'm home

Option #2 - Singapore
Pro's
  • My friend Rahul and his family are there
  • Visiting a city I've always wanted to visit
Con's
  • With ticket prices at $750 it's not much cheaper than going home
  • Hotels are pricey (when compared to places like Nepal or Kiev and very pricey compared to my bed on Carriage Dr.)
Option #3 - Thailand
Pro's
  • Ann & Mike are going
  • It's a place I've always wanted to go
Con's
  • Not many... the airfare is a couple hundred bucks and lodging is cheap... but the pro's aren't as high, either
Of course, the fourth option is staying in Al Ain. It's certainly the cheapest. I spent spring break here and it was fun. Many don't go away so it's a social time.

Hmmm... Writing about it didn't help. I'm very equally torn. I must say, however, looking at nearly bare cupboard for popcorn may tip the scales...

10 comments:

  1. I would say travel while you have the chance! But why does Bangkok few pros?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'm debating on spending Turkey Day in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which ones are you torn between - all of them? Sounds to me like your two best options are Iowa and Thailand. Singapore - even if it's a place you've always wanted to go - will probably end up even more expensive than Iowa. And, you could go there another time.

    If you aren't able to make it back to Iowa until next summer - that will be a fairly long time between. But for those of us who won't see you anyway, I'm trying to be unbiased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd opt for Thailand...esp. Phuket. It seems to me it would be MUCH less expensive to have some popcorn shipped to you, wouldn't it? That is a lot of money to come back for 10 days, assuming 2 of those days would be travel days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miriam - Gee, sis, I'd love to see you at Thanksgiving, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My opinion depends on whether you'd be flying through Dulles on your way out or back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cheapest (and oddly, quickest) trip would be through Dulles but they have very short layovers... And the positives for Thailand are up the more I learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well consider that we would somehow come into the airport to see you even if your layover was only 1 or 2 hours. I don't know how, but we'd figure something out.
    So you should add that to your "pros" list for Iowa.

    "- Get to see my favorite niece and my only great-nephew"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely go to Thailand, Steve -- I promise you won't regret it! It's such a fabulous place. What are the dates for this break?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I would miss you too, but then I get to tell people that my brother is vacationing in Thailand. Makes me feel special...

    ReplyDelete