Friday, October 9, 2009

Obama’s Nobel Peace prize

I can remember a time when Americans rooted for the American city vying for the Olympics. I can remember a time when Americans were proud when a fellow citizen won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Oh, those were days.

I thought Obama's trip last week was a mistake. And I thought there would be negative political fallout until... until I saw conservatives actually applauding and cheering Chicago's loss:

Today Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. While I agree with those who believe it's too early, I can hardly see a downside for Obama or for America. It's a vote of confidence from the world community. As one living in the middle east I'm glad that the promise of Obama is palpable. If he is unable to deliver than it's more than just his loss, it's America's loss.

The reaction on the right has been predictable: Rush Limbaugh says, "This fully exposes the illusion of Barack Obama." Over on Morning Joe it was called a "disaster" and "the damage is done." At Redstate Erick Erickson said, "I did not realize the Nobel Peace Price had an affirmative action quota."

Nice.

The Olympics debacle and winning the Nobel Peace Price prematurely both could have hurt Obama politically. But once again, Obama's critics have saved him by looking incredibly petty.

No comments:

Post a Comment