Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ukraine - Day 6: Lviv cemetery

There's a giant (not so creepy during the daytime) cemetery in Lviv. Many of the tombstones have the person's face etched in stone... and almost all had a serious/sad look. Then again if you were told, "We're doing this portrait for your tombstone" it would be hard to smile.

When I saw this one I said, "Well, I can guess what he died from..." and then I saw he was only 35. Yeesh. There were an extraordinary number of under 40 deaths.

This cemetery had plots right next to each other and several rows deep. I have no idea how relatives are supposed to get to those farther back.

1 comment:

  1. RE: under 40 deaths - maybe the US health care system isn't so bad? Just saying....

    Thanks for the pictures of the cemetery!!

    Love, your morbid friend

    ReplyDelete