Monday, December 15, 2008

Throwing shoes - a middle eastern perspective

Today an Iraqi journalist threw both his shoes at President Bush during a press conference. He missed and I know many of my liberal friends are disappointed. (I'm not. I fear any attack on the president... especially when I read that Obama is planning a train ride to his inauguration. A train ride? No security problems there...)

Throwing shoes is symbolic. It wasn't meant to actually hit Bush. The idea was to say that Bush is lower than any part of the thrower's body.

Before arriving here I did not know the significance of the feet. Yesterday I was discussing the foot issue with my students (before the shoe throwing incident). I said, "If I have sit for long periods I'm going to cross my legs. I mean no offense to you. I'm from a country where that's not an issue."

Basically I was told, "Sure. We get that you don't mean it mean it that way... but how would you feel if we sat here giving you the finger? The middle finger isn't offensive to us but you probably wouldn't like it, would you?"

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see what late-night tv does with the shoe throwing footage. I was very impressed with W's ability to duck (a little lamely), but rather horrified that the Secret Service couldn't protect the president fast enough to prevent a second shoe throw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really offensive to cross your legs?!

    ReplyDelete