Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas

It's t-minus 7 days and counting. I've never felt less like Christmas than this year. In my world you don't walk outside with a t-shirt and shorts the week before Christmas.

Gwenn's been playing Christmas music. I can't get the song "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" out of my head.

Gwenn had a women's choir singing "Little Drummer Boy". That's the first I've heard the song sung by women.

Anyhow, Little Drummer Boy is my favorite Christmas song. When I was seven or eight I heard the song and the lyrics struck me as the true meaning of Christmas. Here's the abbreviated lyrics without the arumpa pum pums...

I am a poor boy too
I have no gift to bring,
That's fit to give the King,

I played my drum for Him,
I played my best for Him,

Then He smiled at me...

The notion that the Son of God would smile at a poor boy with nothing more to offer than playing a drum... well, that struck me as the meaning of Christmas when I was 8 and it still does today.


1 comment:

  1. I'm not... when I pasted in the lyrics it changed the font of my words. I'll try to get it fixed...

    ReplyDelete