Saturday, May 15, 2010

Insomnia

It's a familiar theme. And since it's almost 5AM where I am let me talk about it.

Last week I used Ambien to get to sleep each night... never a full tablet, but a half to 3/4.

On Thursday night (the Friday equivalent here) I refused to take one. I was up until 2 and went to bed. I tried my IPhone "summer crickets" to help me sleep. I tried listening to a play. I tried listening to the BBC... they put anyone to sleep, don't they?

I heard the first call to prayer before 5. The roosters in my neighborhood were going non-stop. Even with tinfoil on the windows light began to shine in. The last time I saw was 6:30.

I awoke at 11 on Friday. Somewhere under 4.5 hours of sleep. OK. I decided, "Very little caffeine today." It was a wasted day. No energy to do anything. I wanted to go to bed at 5PM but held off until 9. When I finally did reach bed I found myself as awake as I had the previous night. I tossed and turned and played every story on NPR that I wanted to hear.

Nothing.

By 1AM I was exasperated. And for those who know insomnia, exasperation is a good place to be. Giving up trying to sleep is the key to sleeping. This isn't a new revelation. But true exasperation can't be faked. You can't say, "Oh, I give up, I will never get to sleep...." hoping that making that statement will set you off to slumber.

If you've ever been awake until 6:30 AM you'll understand when I say the feeling is "I don't give a shit if I ever sleep again."

In two nights I had spent an extraordinary amount of time staring at the ceiling:
Thursday: 2-6:30 - 4.5 hours.
Friday: 9PM until 1AM 8 4 hours.

I've come to hate my bed... the place where I can't sleep.

It's now 5AM (on the dot... wow, I timed this one right)... and I am absolutely not tired and I have no ambien in me.

I have to be up in 5 hours for a meeting in six hours.

And trying to get to sleep now will not be easy.

Welcome to my world.

4 comments:

  1. I don't suppose they have sleep clinics over there? Or that you would consider seeing one when you're back in Iowa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Let me know if you want an evidence or a civil procedure text.

    That shit puts me to sleep like it is my job.

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple years ago, I started sleeping with a humidifier running on high. For some reason, the constant hummm of white noise lulls me to sleep. Plus, those morning prayers and rooster will be drowned out.

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I like reading Charles Dickens, some of his lengthy descriptions can easily make me fall asleep. Although, I rarely have problems sleeping - so it may not help. I'm guessing though that you might try anything! I'd start with Hard Times - that one always put me to sleep in high school!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete