Monday, May 3, 2010

The Rodney Dangerfield of teaching

I had classes today at 8, 12:30, 2, and 3:30. I also guest lectured an economics class at 11. The 11 o'clock class was my only good class.

In the 12:30 class I realized I was speaking in my loudest voice just to be heard. I'm not a shrinking violet in the classroom; I have no problem with projection. So 40 minutes into the 75 minute class I said, "That's it. I'm done." I packed up my stuff and walked out.

I am tired - very tired - of being treated like shit by students and colleagues.

A couple of months ago I said I would not "phone it in" this semester. I have been giving it my all. I knew all along there was a potential danger: What if I give it my all... go all out... and it makes zero difference?

Now I know the answer.
 
It sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment