Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Your job will be eliminated, here are your options"

Friends of mine teaching English were gathered together today. In summary they were told:
"The program is ending. After next year there may not be any jobs. What few there are will only last another year. You can pick up your life and transfer but there's no guarantee you'll have that job for more than another year or two, but at least you'll have your foot in the door there so they will be more likely to keep you.

If you choose to stay there may be a few internal openings, but there are absolutely no guarantees. You'll have a job in the fall semester and probably spring but, again, no guarantees. Take your time deciding if you want to move. In fact, we'll give you four days to decide your fate. Good luck!"
The places they have the option of moving to are not as good as here. For an Iowan it would be like being told you have a job offer in Ottumwa or Sioux City.

If I were in their shoes I don't know what I would do and I don't know what would help me decide in four days.

3 comments:

  1. Does this include Ann? That would not be an easy decision. What happened that they are doing this so suddenly?

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it includes Ann... and most everyone I've come to know since I came here two years ago.

    It's a sad day in Al Ain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's terrible! Please keep us posted - I hope it somehow works out for all of them. I'm so sorry to hear that.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete