Monday, May 17, 2010

Low carb diet recipes

My friend Joan asked what are my favorite five easy recipes on the low carb diet.

In combining "easy" and "favorite" there is one clear winner: Buy low sugar tomato sauce (available on the bottom shelf at Wal-Mart), a portobello mushroom, feta cheese, pine nuts and oregano. Place the portobello(s) in an oven dish. Put the feta* in the mushroom cap. Add the sauce, pine nuts and sprinkle on the oregano. Place in the oven for 40 minutes at 325 (I think... if the portabellos begin to shrink they are more than done.)

* Half goat cheese/half feta is best. It mixes two great flavors.

I use a ton more of tomato sauce. I basically cover it all so the mushroom is not visible.

There is no other recipe that is as easy as this and tastes this good.

******
One portobello is a meal. And it's vegetarian. Almost anytime I have a vegetarian meal I think, "This would taste better with ______." The blank is always beef, chicken or pork. The portobello mushroom recipe above is one vegetarian dish where I'm not craving some meat to be added.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great! Pine nuts are a little out of my budget, but I keep walnuts around for a snack, so that should work alright. I'll have to check on the low sugar tomato sauce - maybe just canned, diced tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete