Sunday, October 19, 2008

Not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

You know you live in a strange foreign land when Hardees makes the best hamburger and the BMW drivers are NOT the biggest pricks on the road. Here that title would have to go to the drivers of the Land Cruisers. (Although the various Lexus models also believe road rules are meant for other drivers.)
80MPH on a city street? No problem. Enter a roundabout with oncoming traffic? No problem, “I drive a Landcruiser, they will move for me or get run over… either way I get to where I want to go.”
The trip from here to Dubai or Abu Dhabi is worse; the Landcruisers and Lexus (Lexi?) routinely run 120 -130 MPH. The speed limit is 72 MPH.
Speed is monitored by radars that registers a ticket that the driver knows nothing about until s/he pays for the car registration the next year. In two months I have yet to see a single cop pulling someone over for a traffic violation.  The radars are no deterrent for those with family in the police force or enough money not to care.

1 comment:

  1. So, how fast can you actually go without getting a ticket? 73? 78?

    Do you actually FOLLOW the speed limit? This I would like to see!

    ReplyDelete