Thursday, October 30, 2008

$36 steak

I'm 1-4 in ordering steak in this country.

A couple of years ago I suggested to my parents that they go to the Chophouse for their anniversary. Mom and Dad went... and left. The steak prices started at $20.

I'll admit that's pricey for Iowa.

I added the blurb below the header for this blog because I really, really miss good beef and pork. Tonight I ate a $36 steak. It was, well, not so good. If I had paid half that price back in Iowa I would have sent it back.

The menu claimed it was a rib-eye. From my stops at Chili's I should have learned that the meaning of rib-eye is not the same here as in the US. A good Iowa rib-eye is amazingly tender with lots of marbling. Here it is much more similar to sirloin.

Ironically, the one good steak I've had here was a sirloin at Chili's.

1 comment:

  1. Jason and I were at Texas Roadhouse the other day talking about how hard it would be to be in a country where you couldn't get a decent steak. You have our sympathies.

    ReplyDelete