Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My life as a dog

As I've explained before, it's a movie that has become a standard motto in my life: No matter how bad I have it I can usually find people who have it worse.

Today is no exception.

From the top: Today one co-worker tried to throw me under the bus and another was willing to help push. Why? I had volunteered to write multiple versions of an exam for 250 students. After I wrote it I begged for someone to proof read it. None of colleagues did and I made a stupid numbering error. Let's see if you can figure it out. You have multiple choice questions from 1 - 60.

At one point you see:
40.
44.
42.
43.
44.
45.

OK, so the first 44 should have been a 41. At the end of the test you see:
57.
58.
29.
60.

OK, so the 29 should have been a 59. I wrote the test and it was my mistake. If any of the five others teaching the class had bothered to proof it when I asked it would have been caught. Regardless, it's not a big problem. My colleagues chose to go to my boss and basically call me incompetent.

I showed my boss the aggregious error and his response was, "That's it? Well, first of all you should have never had to do this by yourself and second of all they played it up like a much bigger issue than it is."

(Working for my boss is very different than working for Susan.)

This evening I found out my total for fixing my car has exceeded $1500. Yippee.

Still, things could be much worse. Tonight friends are holding a wake for a colleague who just six months ago told Ann she wasn't feeling well. The ill feeling turned out to be progressive cancer. A week ago 22 English teachers were e-mailed and told they were being forceably transferred to a different collegein a different city. Because five of them said, "Hell, no we won't go" and quit another set of five were picked just last night. If any those turn it down another name will be drawn.

So, yeah, it's not been a great day but at least I'm alive, I have a job I like in a city I like. And that's better than what millions of Americans have right now and billions in other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment