Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Al & Tipper divorcing?

Not much surprises me in the worlds of sex and politics, but the news of the Gore separation is a shocker.

As a photographer and political geek my all-time favorite picture is one I took at a Gore rally in the fall of 1999. The Vice President signed it and later Tipper gave her autograph. It still hangs on a wall at my house in the US.

In the wake of the Clinton years the Gores succeeded in projecting the image of a couple very much in love.

Fast forward to 1:26 to see the rather bizarre deep tongue swab Al gives Tipper before giving his acceptance speech at the 2000 Democratic convention. Comedian Bill Maher calls it the “Make no mistake: I fuck my wife” kiss. After Clinton’s escapades most people found the kiss reassuring. (Not me, I think Al was more upset at Clinton than the American people. Not using Clinton as an asset in the fall of 2000 likely cost him the White House.)

So today I am left wondering what Bill and Hillary are thinking of this news.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was very strange...not only to read that they were separating but because of how little "news" it seems to really be making. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt separating seem to be making more news than this right now. They are making it sound like it's mutual, with no affairs, but I feel like there is way more to the story. 40 years and they decide that they are "drifting apart?" I don't know, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty surprised too. My first thought/fear was that this was going to become another Edwards scandal. I sure hope not.

    ReplyDelete