Monday, June 7, 2010

Finals e-mail of the day

This student needs 75% and is getting 63%. Here's the last sentence of a lengthy plea:
"Please don not let this course to be the worst and black point in my life."

This e-mail disturbs me. First, it is borderline suicidal (which is not, in itself, a big deal because students here are masters of drama... If I said, "I'll give you an A if you can cry and produce real tears" I'm pretty sure most would walk out with an A.) Second, this was a student who actually tried. She never missed a class and never came late. She sat in the front row and took notes.

A teacher wants to believe that diligent students will understand the material. To have proof otherwise is disturbing.

4 comments:

  1. gosh , is there anyone in your class is actually getting something above 65%?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good students don't have to beg.

    I have a nice distribution this semester... about 25% A's, B's, C's and D's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only brought up a grade change once in my life. A computer science networking course was taught by an adjunct professor who on the first day guaranteed at least a C to anyone who attended every class. It was up there as one of the hardest classes I ever took and my final grade was a D. I emailed the professor reminding him of his commitment on the first day and he bumped it to a C. I realized that if I had the brains to understand what was going on I probably would of had no problem obtaining a C and subsequently dropped the computer science major.

    Justice Alito

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the awesome end to your story is that you make more money and have a more interesting job than you'd have had if you continued in computer science!

    Hmm. I wasn't even referring to your day job at the Supreme Court.

    ReplyDelete