Monday, June 7, 2010

168 hours

At this moment a week from now I will be sitting on a plane in Dubai headed for home. (Assuming the British Airways strike is over.) I'm ready. In fact, if I had to leave now without packing a thing I'd be OK.

But I will be sad as I leave. Why? I will be leaving a friend who - by the time I leave - will have no other friends or family in the country.

This isn't a romantic story; he is not a "friend" requiring quote marks. He's a friend whose other friends are in Egypt and his family will spend the summer there but he will be here.

There are so many things I have had for most of my life that I had no idea I should be happy about. Having friends & family within a 300 mile radius is something I had never given a second thought.

As much as my frustration level has hit a point where I really, really need to get out of this country it will be hard to leave.

1 comment: