Monday, June 7, 2010

Paging Rodney Dangerfield

Living and working here you get kinda used to stupid, ridiculous things that are beyond reason. Many times I've tried to logically analyze something only to be reminded by a friend where I'm living.

But this one takes the cake.

This university has hundreds of classrooms spread out over many campuses. Some rooms are small, many large and a few the size of a gymnasium. I have two classes taking an exam at the same time tomorrow. One is a class of 27 and the other is 37. One large room would be handy, right?

I have been assigned three classrooms that each seat 24. I asked to change and was told nothing was available. I went up the food chain at the registration office. "Oh, no sir, every room is occupied."

Really?

I told my boss, "No problem. At the time of the final I will find a better room (several are close by) and move my classes."

My boss replied, "You can't. Some exams start a half hour after yours. You can't move because you don't know if somebody will need the room in the middle of your final."

An additional bonus? The rooms are so small it is begging the guys to cheat, and they don't need much of an invitation on a good day.

This is bizarre even by the odd standards here. A friend asked, "Wow, who did you piss off?" And that's just it: Nobody. I have never met any of the bureacrats in the registration office. Not one, but I picture them thinking, "Oh, let's fuck with this guy..."

Or more likely, there really wasn't any malice intended. Instead they saw 64 students and said, "66 seats spread across three rooms will be fine."

And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment