Sunday, June 13, 2010

Student e-mail of the day

A student sent me this:
"We were really lucky to have a teacher like you. I swear until now you are the best teacher since I have joined the UAEU. I didn't want to tell you this before getting my score so that you wouldn't think that I saying this in order to give me good marks in the final."
Ann makes fun of me for allowing my teaching ego to be affected positively or negatively by student comments. I understand her point: Students here love teachers who give nearly all A's. I certainly do that but it is true that easy-but-bad teachers are liked here. (In the US not so much. I had a colleague at Hamilton that gave 18 of 21 students A's and the others B+'s. At Hamilton she was merely seen as an easy teacher who couldn't teach. She gave all A's to try to win good evaluations from her students. It didn't work.)

So Ann is right, but I'm happy to get the e-mail anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment