Monday, April 5, 2010

Tales from the Dr.'s office - Part II

As my chain was being yanked from one part of the hospital to the other I kept seeing one other western guy. After 5PM, as I was waiting to have blood taken, he came in. Although we hadn't spoken I said, "Hello, again!"

I found out he arrived at the hospital at 11AM and told them, "Here's my phone number. Call me when you can see me and I'll be here in ten minutes."

I was in awe. "You're my hero!" Ann & Mike live less than ten minutes from this hospital... something I'll remember in the future.

It turns out my new friend is a doctor who used to serve as the doctor for a local semi-pro sports team. His story: He had 8 assistants working for him but none had proper credentials. As the doctor he was responsible for any mistakes they made. Five years ago he went to one guy and said, "You graduated from a university that does not exist." A month later the guy showed up with a (forged) certificate from a real university. After two years of this the guy told his bosses, "Either make sure everyone is properly certified or I quit." He sat in a conference room for two hours as the situation was discussed in Arabic. After two hours he was told they could find another doctor.

*****
He also mentioned a friend whose daughter had been hurt. He met them at the hospital and the doctor checking her out was putting the stethoscope on top of the abaya and checking her in places that are meaningless. He told his friend, "Your daughter's doctor is no doctor."

No comments:

Post a Comment