Wednesday, April 21, 2010

One of those classes...

In two years here I've had 24 classes and over 800 students. I was bound to have a class that I didn't like. The class meets at 3:30 - 4:45 on Mondays & Wednesdays. Wednesday is the last day for classes so it's like teaching from 3:30 - 4:45 on Friday. The students come in mentally checked out.

The class has 30 students. Twenty of them spend the class surfing the net. That will end next week as one forwarded a joke to others in the class and several burst out laughing.

This is the class where a student said, "We'd laugh at your jokes if you gave us points."

Today I gave worksheet that's a good review for a quiz next week. The ten good students went to work and completed the worksheet. Most did just about anything but the work in front of them. With about ten minutes to go a guy - who had not done anything - asked if I had planned anything else. I said, "No, once you get the right answers on the worksheet you can leave." He went over to a guy who had it done, copied down all the answers and brought it to me.

I said, "The point of this was to learn something, but obviously you don't care. Get out of here."

He looked at me.

"You heard me. Get out of here."

I beat him to the door as I packed up my stuff quickly and walked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment