Thursday, December 10, 2009

When extroverts marry

Tonight I attended a dinner party of 10. In the group was a wonderfully colorful extroverted married couple. During the three hour gathering the conversation rarely strayed from their topics of discussion. The party was great, but at many times I wondered what the more introverted guests were thinking.

As an extrovert, I know I can dominate conversation even when I don't mean to. Tonight this couple took control and ruled throughout. For me was interesting to sit back and watch and know that even though it's not me, it could have been me.

4 comments:

  1. It's good to get a glimpse in the mirror ever now and then. I'm an introvert (off the chart). I know you disagree with that, but I am what I am....

    ReplyDelete
  2. There wasn't enough alcohol at this party to get anyone drunk...

    Travis... hmm... I vaguely remember a quiet guy from college named Travis. If only he had spoke up once in a while I might remember him better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am rarely an extrovert at parties where I don't know hardly anyone. The social worker in me sits back and likes to observe and also to encourage others to talk to find out more about them. At parties where I know people well - I have to remind myself consciously not to over-take conversations and let others talk. So, am I a true extrovert? Or have I gotten more towards the dividing line between extrovert and introvert since I've gotten older? I still have no problem getting up on stage (did it last night for karaoke as a matter of fact) unless it's to give a speech - and I always had that problem...

    ReplyDelete