Monday, December 21, 2009

"Federal employees get 70% rise in basic pay"

Sometimes the headline says it all.

I live in a country where .4% of the local citizens work in private industry. The government has a goal to increase Emiratis working in private industry, but many have chosen to remain unemployed... hoping and waiting for a government job.

I'm sure with a 70% pay increase for federal employees Emiratis will be lining up for private sector employment....

Also noted in the article, non-Emiratis working for the government get no pay increase.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting my hopes up, for a second I thought you were alerting me of quite the pay increase I would be getting for 2010! I suppose I will settle for the roughly 2%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I investigated this further yesterday, and the headline was a bit of a misnomer. In actuality, the split between what is allotted to basic pay and what is allotted to allowances got adjusted so that the basic pay amount went up, thus positively affecting Emirati pensions. There was no increase, however, in the aggregate amount. And don't forget, Federal employees actually make a lot less than those employed by municipalities and local Emirate governments, such as Abu Dhabi. It's more complex than the journalist made it out to be in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steely - There are days where I'm very jealous of your uber-safe government job!

    Adrienne - I did not know that city employees made more than federal employees in this emirate. That makes sense, I guess, but I've only heard from the students from poorer emirates that would much prefer a federal government job.

    If the goal is to increase participation in the private labor market I don't see how this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it doesn't help at all. I struggled as part of HR in a private company in Abu Dhabi to attract Emiratis, and of course even in a 'government' institution now it's fierce competition.

    ReplyDelete