Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Flooding & the Al Ain rapids

Getting to work was difficult on Monday. An overnight rain turned my local bridge-less wadi into raging river.

This picture was taken in the afternoon after the water had subsided.

By Al Ain standards this is a river. 363 days a year this is a dry creek bed. I asked locals if it ever has more water than this and the answer was no... so check out the elaborate stone/concrete river banks... it looks like they were planning for a real river. These stone/concrete river banks are all over the city. Dozens of miles worth.

At one point the wadi narrowed into a rapids. (I cropped this photo to look more impressive than it really was. In reality these "rapids" are maybe six inches.)
Although I didn't try to venture through the wadi on Monday morning, I did have to drive through two spots of high water. The casualty? I lost 3 hubcaps.

1 comment:

  1. All you have to do is crop to make 6 inches look more impressive? Woo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete