Friday, December 11, 2009

Party planning

I am an Abstract Sequential. What that means is that I'm one of those people who analyzes everything because somehow it has to make sense in my world.

When it comes to parties I'd much rather throw a party than go to one... by a factor of ten. As an Abstract Sequential I'm always monitoring my party to see what works and what doesn't work and why. Tonight's party has left me with a lot to ponder.

For example, I did not expect to have the majority of the people standing in the hallway. Yes, that's where the food and liquor was, but it was odd to have 30 people standing in the hallway area while chairs and couches were unoccupied in my front room.

I also don't understand the need (requirement?) to bring something to a party. Several friends asked what they could bring and I assured them as best I could that there was more than enough here already. Of course, they still brought something. So I ended up with wine and food beyond anything I could ever consume.

I was lamenting this fact with a friend on Facebook tonight when he suggested that for future parties I say, "Food and beverages will be provided. There will be a donation box if you'd like to help cover the expenses."

Good idea?

8 comments:

  1. I remember that class! I'm a Abstract Random, but I don't remember what that means. But I'd rather attend then throw the party, or help the person planning it.
    I know people like to feel like they have something to offer other then money. Some people like to bring a favorite dish, or drink, to share with those they care about, maybe you could let them know that although they are required to bring nothing but the gift of friendship, if they have something they'd like to bring, to please inform you ahead of time so that it won't be duplicated and remain the special item they brought.
    Sounds to me like you're a great friend and host, and people are trying to show you that by what they bring. So for me they money idea would be great for a "drinking party" but not a social friendship gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad idea. Most people bring a gift of food or drink b/c they WANT to, not b/c they feel they HAVE to. Accept it graciously and freeze whatever is leftover or take it to work for others to enjoy on Monday....or whatever is your next work day. Asking for (or suggesting) donations is just plain rude unless you are raising money for a charity or worthwhile cause (other than yourself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad idea. Most people bring a gift of food or drink b/c they WANT to, not b/c they feel they HAVE to. Accept it graciously and freeze whatever is leftover or take it to work for others to enjoy on Monday....or whatever is your next work day. Asking for (or suggesting) donations is just plain rude unless you are raising money for a charity or worthwhile cause (other than yourself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't ask for a donation.

    If this was the first time many of them came, they may not have known you would go all out and have tons of food and beverages (so they're making sure there's enough to eat!). Some may be on a special diet and bringing something ensures that they have something there that they can eat. And others were just brought up that way - it is a way of showing friendship like Anonymous said). So, put it all out and whatever is left over, bring to work the next working day and let everyone have at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a link to a test for the whole abstract, concrete, random, sequential thing? I took one on-line and came up with almost a tie between three - CS (9), AS (8) and AR (8). Only 5 I answered as concrete random. But I think I operate differently in different situations. Often I'm a people person and want to really think through things and others I just want to get things done and have organization. Obviously my level of organization can be off/on if you remember my room in college... Yet I knew where everything was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy - You're a CS-AR. Trust me.

    I'll try to find the test.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can be more them one on the test. We had a teacher in high school that was CS while teaching and AR (like me) when not at work. At work for me I more CR then AR- Hope you find the test I'd like to have my kids take it. I asked if Mr Logan still gives it, but they'd never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people are more than one. I'm a AS-CR, and I commented that Sandy is a CS-AR. It is not uncommon that someone is different in social situations than they are from work.

    ReplyDelete