Saturday, January 10, 2009

Facebook invites?

I'm coming back to Iowa on Thursday (I think).

How do you let everyone know you are returning? Send a post card? Please, Grandma doesn't even use them anymore. Call? Assuming numbers that haven't changed, it's too expensive from here. Text message? Too cumbersome.

E-mail would work, that's soo 1990's.

I am tempted to create an "event" on Facebook. I have somewhere around 100 Facebook friends in Cedar Rapids. I can create an event on Facebook, say a gathering at Bushwood on Saturday night... and just wait for the crowds to gather.

Or listen to crickets chirp. I guess they don't chirp in Iowa in January, but they do here. There's one outside my window every night.

If my going away party was any guide a Facebook "Yes" means maybe. A "we'll see" means no chance in hell. And a "No" is from those with legitimate reasons they can't make it and want me to know why. Very polite.

In late October a writer for the New York Times posted a story that I fear would be my Facebook party if I threw one. I was going to comment on it at the time but was too wrapped up in the election, and, you know, not voting.

Update: The NYT article linked above makes similar comments to mine about those who say "Yes" I will attend an event. I didn't plagiarize. On the night of my going away party I was truly stunned by the close friends who had responded on Facebook that they'd be there that didn't show. Meanwhile, a HS friend living west of Des Moines did come. I thought that night, "That's the difference between a Facebook friend and a real friend."

2 comments:

  1. How about the friend that wasn't even invited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't worth driving from Minnesota. Of things I was sure before the event, that was one!

    I was surprised your daughter made the trip from western Iowa.

    ReplyDelete