Monday, January 12, 2009

Global Village

Imagine inviting retailers from around the globe to one place to sell their products. The actual people from those countries come to sell the products. It was fascinating. The prices were great on many items. Ann and I were compelled to stop at the Nepal shop. Much of the merchandise was similar to what we saw a month ago but it was not as similar as I would have expected. We only priced one item - a picture frame -and he wanted 5x what it went for in Nepal.

In the Iraq section I bought an "I love Iraq" scarf. The guy selling it to me asked where I was from. When I said "America" he looked stunned. "Is it safe to wear that in America?" I assured him it is, but I guess I'll find out on Thursday. The forecast high for the day is -4.

By the time I made my last purchase we I simply had too much to carry back to the car. We I rented this cart (and the guy with it) to get the stuff back to the car. If you click on the picture you can see that his going rate is 20 dirhams per hour. He spent 20 minutes with us and I paid him 25. As I wrote last night, he had a look of "you just ripped me off" on his face as we left.

1 comment: