Monday, January 5, 2009

Can't you at least pretend you are taking a test?

I had 120 male and 100 female students taking their final tonight. I was on the male campus and colleagues proctored the female campus. In addition to Ann's volunteer help, five were with me to help on the male campus. Five.

Two hours before the exam Ann helped me prepare the room by spreading desks far apart and taping labels to the chairs. Every student was assigned a specific seat... and then the fun began. Students began filtering in a half hour early. "What? Assigned seats?" Several huddled in the back. How will we cheat now if we can't sit next to each other?

For the duration of the two hour test Ann remained planted in a section of the room where the worse offenders were seated. For the most part everything went smoothly. Oh, how my standards have changed. In America I'd have said, "It was terrible! Everyone was trying to cheat everywhere." But on the standards I've grown accustomed to, it went as well as it could.

Because of the assigned seating and multiple versions of the test students many had no idea what to do so they sat. And sat. And sat. Over an hour into the exam several had not even bothered to pick up their pens. I looked on in amazement and thought, "Can't you even pretend you are taking a test? Maybe act like you are trying really hard?" Nah. I'll wait. My time to cheat will come somehow, someway.

It didn't come. In a panic some answered all "A" on the multiple choice and all "True" on the T/F. The short answer answer essay questions? Blank.

I have only graded a few but I'm fairly certain I will have to eat my "why even take the final?" post. This is one final that is going to change a lot of grades and none for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment