Friday, October 8, 2010

Training sessions

About a week ago I wrote about a colleague who flamed out.  This week I was contacted by the Continuing Education Center about conducting workshops for university departmental managers... a job that used to be done by the guy who flamed out.

I said yes before hearing any details or talking money.  Fortunately, what they want me to cover is very similar to things I've taught for years.  In other words, the prep work will be easy.  I was cautioned that there may be some participants who have a very low level of English.  I said, "Umm, after teaching here for two years I think I'm used to that."

I was shown the room lounge I would be teaching in.  It really is a lounge:  Small cocktail tables in a ring around where I'd stand and booths on the outer part.  All it's missing is a bar and a disco ball and it would scream 70's disco lounge.

After reviewing everything I asked, "So what is the compensation for doing this?"

"Oh, sir, I'll send you a contract.  The amount is negotiable."

First thought:  Oh, crap.
Second thought:  It's better he didn't give me a number, because knowing me I would have said, "Sure!" and later kicked myself.  At least by e-mail I can have some friends help me before I say yes to a ridiculously low number.

The reality is that I'm always looking for something new to do and this is certainly something new.  And being able to add "corporate training" to the resume is never a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment