Monday, October 18, 2010

Surreal

I'll get to the surreal part in a minute...

Today was my first training session covering the topic of communication.  My (now former) colleague created the training materials that I was to present.  Last night I was pretty sick because the material was completely abstract and difficult.  For example, when's the last time you've used "incongruity" in a sentence?  Knowing that the audience was going to be non-native English speakers I knew I had to change it.

I decided to throw out the material and basically teach it like a class.

Here's where it became surreal:  Today's group were very senior people at the university... the #2 person in HR, the head of student housing, the head of student affairs... a group of 11 total.  All make substantially more money than I do, all have important titles and all are Arab.

More than once I thought, "What is this Iowa farmboy doing here?"

Then I tried to imagine anything remotely similar in the US:  A group of managers sitting through a training session being conducted in a different language by a guy several rungs lower on the corporate ladder.

It just wouldn't happen.

2 comments:

  1. How did they accept you? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are used to working with westerners so that part is no big deal. The material I covered is stuff I have taught dozens of times before. I know what stories work and which ones don't. You'll appreciate that I used the "My mother always said, 'We'll see' and I knew by the time I was 5 that meant it wasn't going to happen."

    One woman replied, "We all do that in Arab culture. We don't like to tell our children 'No'."

    I think it went well. I'll know for sure if they sign me for future contracts!

    ReplyDelete