Thursday, October 14, 2010

You're getting paid well so let it go...

As I've mentioned before, I'll be conducting some management training sessions in the next couple of weeks.  Today I learned what I'll be paid and it's quite good:  $110/contact hour.  (I'm not getting paid for prep work, but for 16 contact hours, the total pay is better than I expected.)

So I'm getting paid well and since most of this material is stuff I cover semester after semester the prep work isn't very hard.  In other words, it's a well-paid gig and I should be very happy.

I am happy, but it kills me to know how much the agency I'm working for is charging the university.  They are getting more than 15 times what they are paying me.

A mechanic knows s/he is making much less than the car repair shop is charging the customer.  That's the way business works to cover overhead, management expenses and still make a profit.  But the garage can't charge 15x what the mechanic makes!  

If I had no idea how much my employer was getting paid I'd be happy ecstatic about this opportunity to make extra money.  Knowing they are charging 15x changes my attitude, but it shouldn't.  As long as I'm satisfied with what I'm getting paid it shouldn't matter what they are charging the customer, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment