Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Call the bluff

Students go to school here for free.  The one requirement is that they show up and get a C.

I had a student e-mail that he was really in my class during the first week when I counted him absent.  I replied, "I took attendance on both days of the first week and you weren't not there for either.  So I should have counted you absent twice."

The e-mail reply:  "Oh, sorry, doctor."

Today he came to reiterate the apology; he confused my class with one he actually came to during the first week.

Yeah, right.

I'm on to you guys.  I'm on to you!

2 comments:

  1. What is the consequence if the student doesn't show up? Do they get a bill for their tuition or are they just kicked out of school? If they attend some classes and not others, will an incomplete or fail grade affect the cumulative grade point average?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they miss more than four classes they are not allowed to take the final. If their GPA falls below 2.0 they get a warning. They get two warnings and then get kicked out.

    Because I don't want to have to judge "good" vs. "bad" excuse for why they are absent I give them two freebies. So a student would have to miss 7 to not take the final in my class... and I have around 5 students every semester who missed 7 or more classes.

    ReplyDelete