Monday, October 4, 2010

Home is...

Here are the responses I received to "Home is where the _______ is.":
  • It's where your heart is.
  • Is where you feel safe and loved.
  • the mess you need to clean up and the laundry you need to catch up on
  • It's where my furry family, hubby and favorite blankie are :)
  • Home is where I can find some true friends to walk with, friends I can live till my life ends one day!
  • Home is where the Ollie, Lucy, and Ben are!
Denise submitted one that made me laugh out loud:
  • Home is where they send the bills.
Shellie has one that rings true to me and explains why I'm spending so much time thinking about this:
  • Home is where your heart and mind are both in agreement, that is where you belong.  :)
And finally, Sam, pretty much describes my feelings:
  • Where u don't feel out of place.
My heart and mind are in Iowa.  I have dozens of friends there.  My family is there.  I have my house there.  I have my dog there.*


So why do I feel more comfortable in the UAE?


Here's some superficial reasons:
  • I have a really nice apartment.  Between this place and my house in Cedar Rapids?  It's no contest.
  • I like having McGyvor,  a reliable auto mechanic, a maid, and a place to press my shirts cheap.  
For someone who has Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) every cloudy winter, the constant sun here is another plus.


But, really?  Sam hit the nail on the head he wrote, "Where u don't feel out of place."  In Iowa now I'm a visitor.  At my house I'm a visitor.  This summer I removed more of my stuff because my attitude is that they are the ones really living there... but it doesn't make my house my home when I'm back.


My conclusion for me?
  • Home is where structure is.
Here I have a job.  I plan for it and I teach.  I have a purpose and that makes me content.  Most would kill for a 3 month vacation.  Not me.  My best two weeks were at the end:  I saw some long lost friends and spent several days picking popcorn.  That was fantastic!  For at least a month in the middle I was wasted human flesh.


So while I agree with Shellie that home is where the heart and mind are in agreement - and Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is where my heart and mind is - Sam nailed it.  With the structure of my job I don't feel out of place... and that's what makes me feel at home.


* I think there'd be a lengthy custody battle if I tried to take Gus away from my mother.

2 comments:

  1. YOU BETTER BELIEVE YOU'D HAVE A CUSTODY BATTLE FOR GUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I wonder who that comment could be from....

    ReplyDelete