Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Friendly students

I like asking newbies what they find different about teaching here.  (My answer, of course, was that I was woefully unprepared for the cheating.)

A Greek colleague did her graduate work at UConn and she arrived here a month ago.  With the U of Connecticut being her only teaching experience before now I was surprised by her answer:  The friendliness of the students.

She's right about people here being friendly.  Even while waiting for car insurance the other night a teenager asked where I was from and if I like it here.

She said, "In Connecticut if I met a student in the mall they'd walk right by and act like I wasn't there."

That's the difference.  My teaching experience is in Iowa.  Iowans, like Emiraties, are a nicer bunch than those east coasters.

When I asked why cheating was not her answer as well she replied, "The cheating is as bad in Greece.  I'm used to it.  I've seen people cheat all the way to getting a degree."

No comments:

Post a Comment