Monday, February 15, 2010

Behold the powers of FaceBook (and Skype)

At 1AM last night I decided to check e-mail before heading to bed. I was greeted with two "Mom - Urgent!!!" messages from my sister.

I was able to reach Miriam by Skype and she filled in the scary details. In the middle of the night - 7000 miles and ten time zones away - a feeling of utter helplessness washed over me. With zero chance of getting to sleep I made a simple comment on FaceBook that Mom was not well. Twenty e-mails, FB personal messages and comments poured in... and that was pretty much the first hour.

The good news 24 hours later is that Mom has made an incredible recovery. Far better than any of us could have hoped for. She's still in intensive care, but thanks to the wonders of Skype I was able to see and talk to her tonight.

It's been a long day, but a day made much better knowing I am lucky to have so many supportive friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment