Saturday, February 27, 2010

Quote of the day: Farmer Steve

A former student stopped me to say: "I overheard students talking in the hallway. You must have told them you come from a farm because they were saying, 'Why would the university bring in a farmer to teach the management classes?'"

I wish I could find a pair of bib overalls to wear to class next week.

Update:
Miram (understandably) does not understand why I'd wear bib's to the classroom: "So, you want to wear bibs to expose and reinforce a stereotype? Farms don't "manage" themselves!"

My goal is not to reinforce a stereotype but to break one. First, I loved growing up on a farm and have zero regrets. Second, I think farmers are pretty damned smart. And finally...

I am 100% comfortable in the classroom. I have few gifts - no athletic or artistic ability - but I can teach. So I'd be comfortable playing the bib overall wearing farmer stereotype to the hilt... hell, I'd wear a straw hat if I found one.

Historically, I know this to be true: Students love me or hate me, but by the end of the semester they will not be questioning my credentials. At that point they'll have to reexamine their thoughts about farmers.

4 comments:

  1. So, you want to wear bibs to expose and reinforce a stereotype? Farms don't "manage" themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please make sure they are clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that they hate you, yeah, but not the other part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, you are flat wrong here. You do have more gifts than you think. I find myself wondering about your blog daily. Thus, you're artistic ability is shining in your stories, anctedotes and aimless bitching. I thought you were a fantastic teacher, I did get an A in your class after all...so don't be so hard on yourself. You kinda rawk!

    ReplyDelete