Sunday, February 21, 2010

The South Atkins Beach Diet

This morning I decided to start a diet. Years ago I learned the particulars of the Atkins diet (which was very popular) and the South Beach Diet (which made more sense). Both are low carb diets. The oversimplified difference:
  • South Beach says that limited carbs that digest slowly in your body are OK and that high fatty meats are not OK. (No pork bacon on the South Beach Diet.)
  • Atkins says pork bacon is good but pretty much every vegetable under the sun is bad. So have that marbled steak lathered in butter.
I've successfully combined the two: I use only veggies that are relatively low carb and digest slowly... but I also love bacon.

On the way home from work I bought 3 pounds of bacon, a couple of pork chops, a head of cabbage, nuts, cheese and celery. Frying up some bacon and using the grease to fry up cabbage with some onion/garlic salt was my meal today.

If history repeats itself the hardest week will be week one -- the body is not happy as the carbs are purged from the system.

I'm starting this diet very near my all-time high: 225 pounds. Obviously, I have good reason to do the diet!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. It is the diet I wish I could follow, but chocolate and ice cream keep creeping in. If I ban them from my house I will have a revolt from the natives. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete