Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working vacation

Try to guess what this is...

For this break I planned to complete a major project: Rewrite the textbook Power Points for the introductory management class. It's not work I've been assigned but we're using a new textbook and the vocabulary is far above our students' comprehension. Power Points are often created by disgruntled Teaching Assistants who would rather be doing research. I think this textbook company must have paid them per slide because there's tons of useless material.

It's a sad fact that our students often study ONLY using class notes and the Power Points. The picture above is a textbook a student brought to the final... still in its plastic shrink wrap.

The task of converting the slides is not hard work, it's just tedious. Also, I plan to share with my colleagues teaching the class and I often think, "OK, will my they appreciate how much I've dumbed that down  brought that to the students’ level or criticize me for it?" In work avoidance mode I've cleaned my apartment beyond what is rational. Today I had nothing more to clean so I finally got to work. I completed two chapters. Eleven more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment