Friday, January 22, 2010

What would you have done?

Tonight I saw the movie "Up in the Air." It's a very good, very depressing movie. Afterwards we stopped at a bar for a drink. When I paid my tab my change should have been $7. What I received was over $100.

Now in the US that would be a debatable topic: Do you take the money and run? I'm know my guilt complex is too high. I'm not saying I wouldn't because I'm ethical or moral; I wouldn't because as a child I remember MY heart beating faster when I read a Tell-Tale Heart.

In this country it goes beyond the ethical issue of taking money that doesn't belong to me. Here, that's the stuff that gets someone deported. Our polite Filipino waitress may have seen her career in the Emirates end as a result.

Two tables over from us a group was very agitated. I thought, "They just got $7 change..." The bills were exchanged and we all left peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment