Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Day memories

In working weather we'd get paid for all federal holidays (13). January was one of the nice months with two bonus days. January 1 and MLK. Since we still had to work those days it was simply bonus pay.

Kaplan is a notoriously cheap employer but they do give MLK Day as a holiday. Why? Kaplan is owned by the Washington Post. A newspaper located in a city where 55% of the residents are black is not going offend that base.

Only my friends at YellowBook also got the day off so on past MLK holidays we'd go to Riverside. On my last trip two years ago I came in second place in an Omaha tournament. Omaha high/low requires a lot of thinking and playing for five hours straight turned my mind to mush. By the time I was heads up against the last guy I should have just pushed my chips to him. Still, I was happy because I've only played in two tournaments and coming in second was not what I expected.

What did I do here for the holiday? Mopped my hallway and stairs. Something very odd has happened to me lately; I've turned into a cleaning machine. You could eat off of my toilets right now... not saying you'd want to, but you could...

No comments:

Post a Comment