Monday, January 4, 2010

I'm so excited...

... but it's not about these pictures.

Tonight the world's tallest building is being dedicated in Dubai. The event is a huge media circus and Mike said his friends videoing the event had to walk miles with their equipment because parking is so bad.

I'm not in Dubai and didn't see this. The reason I'm excited is that the one Emirati friend I had before I came here IS in Dubai and took these pics. I first met Yousef as a freshman at Coe in 2004 as he pledged Sigma Nu. I was disappointed in 2005 when he said he was transferring to Houston. Although we've kept in touch by e-mail/FaceBook we haven't seen each other since.

I very much hope to see him during his visit here. If I do I know what I will say:
Yousef! I have three things to say to you:
1. It is great to see you.
2. You are NOTHING like any Emirati I have met in the year and a half I've been here.
3. I'll repeat, it is great to see you.
As I told him on FB I have at least a thousand questions, but I won't take it personally if he doesn't have time. I know what it's like to be back home for a limited time. (The August trip still bothers me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment