Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tonight the IPhone paid for itself...

... with my sanity.

As I've discussed before, when I write tests my answers create patterns that make sense to me and make grading very quick. Like: ABBA ACDC BADD or BAD CADE DEAD DAD

Tonight I had over 100 tests to grade where there were 18 T/F & 40 multiple choice answers, multiple versions and no pattern.

Grading each test was time consuming to be constantly be checking the key. I thought to myself, "If only someone could be reading me the answers this would go so much quicker."

Then it hit me: The IPhone has a voice memo feature. I read all 58 answers into the phone. It took 41 seconds. With a touch of a button it read them back and I was able to mark each exam in those 41 seconds.

I cannot express how huge of an improvement this is in my life as a teacher!

In academics we like to hold "workshops" and give ourselves credit for continuous education. It's ideas like this that I'd like to hear from my peers; practical real world ways to improve teaching and make our job easier.

1 comment: