Friday, January 29, 2010

Iowa City's PRIDE

Soon to be flying over the Old Capitol?

Years ago my brother announced that his daughter wouldn't be going to Iowa State because there are "too many queers there." Never mind the humorous thought of the rural/farming university for being thought of as the gay university in Iowa...

The rich irony for me is that my brother lives in Iowa City. Advocate magazine just named Iowa City the third gayest city in America!

My confederate conservative friend Matt in Atlanta may not appreciate his city (not San Francisco) winning first place.

*****
On a related note: I finally watched the State of the Union speech. It was good, but then Obama doesn't give a bad speech. Noteworthy to me was his announcement that Don't Ask, Don't Tell would be repealed this year.

Really? Why this year? Maybe it's because the ball is already rolling in the House and since it is going to happen anyway the White House wants to look like it is leading.

It is certainly not the best time. This is an election year and many supportive congressman would prefer to have this sink in for a while instead of voting in July and having ads run against them immediately. Also, last year John McCain would have been a supporter. What more cover could this young president have wanted than war hero John McCain as a supporter?!?

This year McCain is in a fight for his political life in Arizona (he'll likely lose to a far right winger) and now he doesn't support repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Gee, another one the political team at the White House blew.

1 comment:

  1. The irony is I had never said such a thing. Please remove this from your blog and leave me and my family out of it>

    ReplyDelete