Friday, January 15, 2010

A year ago

A year ago right now I was somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. I was greeted in Iowa with a low of -29... a record low.

-29 was not just a record low for the day, it is the coldest temperature ever recorded in Cedar Rapids. (Trivia to tell at work today.)

While I'd love to be home again this winter I'll settle for the 80 degree weather here. It's rough, but somebody's got to do it.

Update: Peachie asks about the coldest day ever recorded for Cedar Rapids. Here's the monthly data. I see the lowest lows to be:
December 28, 1924 with negative 28
January 15, 2009 with negative 29
February 14, 2006 with negative 27

You can look up each month... December:

January:

February:

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure it's the coldest ever in CR? I realize I should never question a weather junkie....but I could swear I remember it reported colder than that the day my brother was buried. However, that was more than 5 minutes ago, so I am very probably mistaken.

    ReplyDelete