Friday, February 25, 2011

Sri Lanka: the Iowa connection

While waiting to fly back to Dubai a guy noticed my U of Iowa shirt and came over to say he's an Iowa State grad.  Like me, he and his friends heard of the religious holiday on Thursday and decided to make the best of a three day weekend.
With his engineering degree from Iowa State he works in Abu Dhabi and commutes from Dubai.  "Why," I asked, "would you want a 2 hour commute each way every day?"

"The nightlife," was his response.  "There are a thousand more things to do in Dubai."  He's right and if I were his age I'd probably want to live in Dubai, too.  At my age, I see Dubai as a headache of traffic.  It's a nice place to go and do something but I have no desire to live there.

1 comment:

  1. Commuting plus - no worries about gas prices there!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete