Friday, February 25, 2011

Sri Lanka: Getting around

When I went to book a hotel I found that all of the good ($100 - $150) hotels were full.  I later learned this was because of the Cricket World Cup being held in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and India.  I booked a $32 hotel away from the touristy parts of the city.

To get around Colombo there are tuk-tuks rather than taxis.  Given their size they make a 2 lane road into a 3-4 lane road.  They weave in and out of dense traffic leaving mere inches from cars and trucks.  Fortunately, passengers can't see much to the right or left.  It's nice not to know how close you just came to an accident.  
This guy was one of the more polite drivers I had.  I gave a $9 tip and made his day.

The hotel choice worked out well.  My $32/night place was a mere $3 tuk-tuk ride away from all of the touristy spots.  In saving $70/night I could afford the tuk-tuk.  My hotel room was clean and rather spacious with a kitchenette:

 Ann had recommended trying all the fresh fruits I could while in the country.  On the first night I ordered a fresh squeezed lime juice and what claimed to be fresh squeezed orange juice.  The OJ tasted like Tang with a little bit of pulp.
The lime juice, however, was fantastic.  I probably had a dozen of these in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment